Saturday, January 27, 2007

The big march

I went to the big antiwar march in DC today. It was great, and it really got me psyched about the next few months, The student contingent was a little bit of a mess, perhaps owing to a culture clash between the Campus Antiwar Network and Students for a Democratic Society, and it was pretty hard to get chants against congress going, but it was still exciting. We got a lot of folks from Rutgers and from the other schools around here, and a lot of them are psyched to do something with us.

I won't try to say anything else serious about the protest (I'm sure you'll find that in all the usual places). I was very excited to find two groups there that I've never seen before. One, the Workers' Party USA, seemed pretty nondescript. The other was the Communist league, a faux-clandestine group which apparently operates mostly over the internet (obviously real security conscious). One guy I was talking to was ridiculously eager to brag about the supposedly underground work they're doing. They're connected to the Worker-Communist Party of Iraq and they've set up a US branch of the Iraqi Freedom Congress (a WCPIraq front group); one of them was carrying a sign which was supposed to say I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture, but as best I can remember it said نحو عر العرق نموقرطلي و غير قومي, but I think I'm leaving something out. "for a democratic, secular, non-sectarian Iraq" but with every other word misspelled or bizarrely chosen.

No comments: