Friday, February 2, 2007

Marxists.org under attack

Most of you will probably already be aware, but in the last three weeks the Marxist Internet Archive has experienced a series of denial of service attacks originating from mainland China and presumably from the Chinese government. The MIA has not made any appeals for help that I am aware of, but they are one of the most amazing things on the internet and deserve your financial support in any case.

Of course the irony is intense, although I'm sure there can't be more than a dozen people left out there who will be shocked by it. I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a young scientist from Beijing a couple of years back. It was the last night of a conference and myself and the Brazilian attendees had gotten smashed and started singing the Internationale. The eastern european attendees were shocked, but this one fellow came up to me, smiling from ear to ear, and told me that he hadn't heard anyone singing the song since 1989!

Incidentally, I found my notes from the SWP meeting I mentioned last week. One thing that I forgot was that Jack Barnes had mentioned that someone (I assume it was the CMI) was talking about setting up a Trotsky Library in Havana, and that he strongly hoped that they wouldn't. Not quite on the same scale, but...

PS: Since I first posted this I've gotten my first few readers from China. I'd very much appreciate any comments from you guys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The NYT's take: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/technology/05marxist.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin